Thursday, November 25, 2010

Danny My Boy, What Have You Done?

I had not anticipated on blogging again so quickly, however, the recent turn of events in Newfoundland and Labrador politics has shocked the entire province, and some of Canada. Somewhere, Prime Minister Harper is having a beer and celebrating, but for most Newfoundlanders and Labradorians, it is a sombre day.

Premier Danny Williams started his political run in November 2000, and today, November 25, 2010, he stepped down as the Premier of Newfoundland and Labrador, and named Kathy Dunderdale the interim Premier. First and foremost, congratulations to Ms. Dunderdale on becoming the 10th and first female Premier of Newfoundland and Labrador. However, my blog is to reminisce about Danny, and to recount some of the foolish popular references I have heard throughout the day.

I will not deny that Danny had his ups and downs. There were times when he was hated, and times when he was loved. Personally, I feel he did a good job. The student in me would love to thank him for up-front provincial grants, 0% interest on provincial student loans, and the lovely debt reduction grant I received for both undergrad and graduate programs. Thank-you, Mr. Williams. The rest of the province, could add to these and list his accomplishments. To name a few: the development of the Lower Churchill, pension solvency, equity offshore, renegotiating the Atlantic Accord, lower income taxes and massive infrastructure upgrades (for more information, please google Danny Williams). There have been down times as well, everyone remembers his anti-Harper campaign: ABC – Anything But Conservative, and of course taking down of the Canadian flag – dark times indeed. But how is he going to be remembered?

Today alone, I have heard Danny be compared to JFK and Black Friday. First of all, Danny is retiring; he was not assassinated while driving down Barters Hill. Secondly, Black Friday is a common referral to the massive shopping sales in the United States that mark the beginning of Christmas shopping after American Thanksgiving – Danny is not Macys. It’s great to believe he is worthy of praise, he did great things, he put Newfoundland and Labrador on the map, supported many groups, the arts, children, students, hospitals, you name it – he fought...and fight he did. But I shall not refer to this as, ‘a day that will live in infamy’ – this is not Pearl Harbour. Come on Newfoundland and Labrador, let’s create our own way to refer to Danny, not steal others.

Personally, I’m going to advocate for the Purple Wave...although a PC, he definitely wasn’t Harper’s Blue, but he’s not a Liberal Red....I vote we fuse the two together and refer to Danny’s reign as the Purple Wave of Newfoundland and Labrador. A resurgence of Newfoundland and Labrador pride, a period of success and a time which will surely, not be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment