Wednesday, November 24, 2010

T'was a Month Before Christmas

In the spirit of Christmas approaching and the impending final exams of all the university students, I was inspired to write a poem about the craziness that stress creates in residence. Thank-you to 99.1 Hits FM for reminding me that there is only a month before Christmas, because it got my creative juices flowing. I hope my fellow RCs enjoy it the most.


T’was a month before Christmas, and all through my house,

All the residents were stirring, including a mouse,

The beer cans were thrown ‘round the courtyard without care,

In hopes that some staff would not notice them there.


The children were snuggled all up in their beds,

Texts and tweets running through their heads,

RC in her leggings, and RAs in their boots,

Had all settled down. Oh! What the hoot?


When out in the parking lot there arose such a crash,

I sprang from my sofa to see what was that clash?

All I saw was three hooded figures a-running,

And from there I knew that wasn’t going to be funny.


From the reflection of the pond and orange glow of the lights,

I thought I should call someone who knows how to fight,

Then with all my astonishment, there came into sight,

A great big water wave, and I thought this can’t be right!


The fountain had blown straight out of the water,

And the three hooded figures fell down in a clatter,

I laughed and I laughed until I thought I would pee,

And then out of nowhere came CEP.


They called out, ‘Cabot, Cartier, Gilbert or Guy?’

And all went quiet as I waited for the reply,

The figures yelled, we’re from high school, you non cop,

And I thought, this is the end, CEP is going to pop!


One officer went over, and I thought he would hit

But instead he just said, ‘C’mon kid, I’ll give ya a lift,’

Well there goes my excitement, I said in a flash,

Then I heard screams and I made a mad dash.


Into the courtyard my residents were screaming,

‘We wanted a fight, hit him you meanie!’

I started to push them back into their beds,

But they started pleading, ‘we’ll be quiet,’ instead.


I have a headache, and I can’t take much more,

So dropping my hands I headed for the door,

Exam time brings stress, drama and crying,

I think I’ll go to bed and just stop trying.


Before I went back to my apartment I cried,

‘Exam time will kill me, go to bed and goodnight!’


No comments:

Post a Comment